Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Just a dog........ and one FTGH

From time to time, people tell me,
"lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog."
They don't understand the distance traveled,
the time spent, or the costs involved for
"just a dog."
Some of my proudest moments have come about with
"just a dog."
Many hours have passed and my only company was
"just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.
Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by
"just a dog,"
and in those days of darkness,
the gentle touch of "just a dog"
gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
If you, too, think it's "just a dog,"
then you will probably understand phases
like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or
"just a promise."
"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence
of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and
patience that make me a better person.
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early,
take long walks and look longingly to the future.
So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog"
but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams
of the future, the fond memories of the past,
and the pure joy of the moment.
"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and
diverts my thoughts away from myself and the
worries of the day.
I hope that someday they can understand that
it's not "just a dog"
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps
me from being "just a person."
So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog."
just smile, because they "just don't understand."


On that positive note - shall I perhaps tell you what I came home to find after work yesterday???

We have these old kitchen benches (with cupboards!) on the deck that I use to put all of my doggy goodies in there. Well little miss here pulled off one of the boards and got into the cupboards, probably thinking all of her christmases had come at once! She pulled out ALL of her toys, training gear, blankets, balls, you name it - she grabbed it!

Thank goodness i'm a neat freak and all of their leads/ treats are in containers so she didn't get into those.

BUT she did get into my brand spanking new bike helmet which was yet to be worn. WHOOPS! It is now chewed to oblivion

Of course, that wasn't enough damage. She then had to knock over the barriers we have around Mum's prized plants and get into her Irises and Hipiastrums (sp?).... poor Mum has already put up with a lot and now has her prized plants destroyed! I feel soo bad!!!!!

Needless to say Kinta thought she had done a brilliant job.

So she is going FTGH..... she is well behaved...... really she is.... laugh.gif

1 comment:

Amanda O. said...

Hey, your first post doesn't have a comments section?! So that's why it's here. Huge, HUGE congrats again! I think I'm probably just about as excited for your CCD with Leo as I would be with my own! LOL You two definitely deserve it after the work you both have put in! I'm glad you had a good day at the RSPCA day (we waved when we drove by! lol) with the exception of the Angel event. What a shock that must have been! (Yes, I remember who you're talking about.) I hope they get the case wrapped up soon and she can find the sort of home she deserved to have all along!

Oh, one thing... I think I've heard of the Corgi x Boxer thing too and I think I remember it being much more involved than just a F1 cross. I read about it or VERY similar thing a few years back on one of the dog genetics lists. The guy was a long time UK breeder of Boxers (40+ years), verryyyy well known (he'd also isolated the cause for a bad genetic disease in the breed and made a test for it or something?) and a professional in the genetics field. He had a whole program over I *think* well over a dozen years into this. He had, if I recall, special permission from the Kennel Council after several years of preparing a case with evidence as to why the exception was merited and was required to keep full documents etc. The F1 was backcrossed with carefully chosen dogs of his line of boxers for several generations and by the um... 3rd? 4th? generation the dogs in the photos look like boxers enough you'd not be able to tell. The dogs actually WERE shown and are fully registered. It's really not any different than what they did to create Himalayans from Persians by introducing the point gene from Siamese, the resulting cats now are genetically persian with the exception of the point gene. The dogs he did this with are still under strict breeding control (he's the only one with breedable ones) by his choice till he knows that there isn't anything bad linked with the NBT gene (like in Manx cats for example where rumpy to rumpy breeding equals badness) so they're only his 1 line, not boxers at large. I also believe the gene involved in Corgi's being NBTs may be different than the one in Aussies, or rather it's believed to be since the one in Aussie's isn't fully understood yet. This guy knew the Corgi he used was dominant for bobtailing but we can't figure that for Aussies yet, so must be a different gene or MOI? We know in cats for example, there are at least 2 genes in 2 breeds (Manx and Japanese Bobtail) and they work *very* different from eachother. Sorry to go geek on you there but figured it worth mentioning. I'm just fascinated with genetics and the bobtailedness in Aussies! *VBG* I do agree that a lot of times some of the priorities of the different organizations can run in odd directions (re tail v. petshop/byb) especially in light of where Bella came from for me or with not providing the further owner education/support etc. (Or worse, sending people to trad trainers who make the dogs problems worse...) Both of the other stories are just too sad as well... can't even imagine either scenario and pray the ones going through it have all the peace they can in what sometimes seems a senseless world. Geeze. I'm ending htis here before it turns into more of a novel!!! X-)