Sunday, May 25, 2008

Leo is 4 today!


It's hard to believe that it's been 4 years since this little pip squeak was born! Not to mention.... was he really *that* small!!?!?!?

So much has changed in 4 short years... it's hard to imagine that 'back then' I knew nothing about the dog world, obedience, showing, agility or anything that I'm totally obsessed with now. It's hard to believe that I'd never thought of breeding/ showing and when I inquired after Leo only said I might *try* obedience and agility!

I remember the day I picked him up like it was yesterday ;). We'd been over the week before just to have a 'look' at some puppies... because after having lost my Rusty-Girl only a few weeks ago, I didn't feel ready for a puppy, but I wanted to make sure that when I did go looking, I was going to get the right one. I went to a couple of shows before hand, put my name on the puppy register for a red female around Christmas time. I had received an email earlier in the week saying this breeder had a lovely blue merle boy that she thinks I should look at (Jayne, the puppy officer) as he will be ideal for obedience/ agility etc,etc,etc. I thought 'oh yeah, this will be ok to look at coz it's a blue, and I want a red. Not to mention it's a boy and I want a girl!' After speaking to Ana on the phone, I decided i'll go down and have a look at the litter... one thing I was adamant about was that I did *not* want a black tri female (hahaha).

Well - they say the pup chooses you, and I must say I think it's true. The entire time I was there, Leo's sisters came and went, pretty indifferent to us, they just wanted cuddles from anyone... but Leo... no - he slept on my feet the whole time - he would play with me when I knelt down to play with him, but admittedly - he wouldn't leave my side. I knew we were sold when my mum was smitten with him ;). We went to look at other litters (yes, one including a red female!) and I knew I had to have him..

If I had any doubts - it was certainly washed away the week later when we went to pick him up and he ran straight out of the crate and back into my lap!

I mean... who could resist a face such as this:

The day we picked him up...

Checking to see what mum is doing!

So much for 'outdoor dog only'!!!!

Retrieving already (he loooved that toy!)!

One cool dude!

Seriously chilled out!

Since then -I've achieved so much with him... He's a great dog to live with, has a brilliant temperament, happy and silly demeanor and is a great dog to train. I've made plenty of mistakes with him, but he just keeps on trying and the results at the end are just so rewarding. I wish I could do more with him - he was a great therapy dog, but it just doesn't fit in anymore. He is literally everything I could ever want in a dog! I hope that we continue to build on this relationship we have to reach our higher goals but most of all have fun getting there!

Soo... how did the birthday boy spend his day? Well he had a raving party last night (a la movie night at Traceys' house), obedience this morning (he did awesome - signals heelwork for the first time and he nailed it as well as metal & wood scents!!!! *insert happy dance here*) and Mr Joey over for a play this afternoon. A nice night inside tonight followed by a juicy bone... ah bliss! What more could a boy want ;)

Happy birthday mate!



Now - as for me - I am going to be *very* despondent this week... our fences are getting done which means Kinta is spending the week with the breeders and Leo is being shipped off to a friends place.... I'm dog-less all week!!!!!

1 comment:

Amanda O. said...

Aw, happy birthday Leo!!! I can see why you couldn't resist him, what a melt-worthy little face... *melts*